Saturday 13 July 2013

Summer Series, Oakamoor. 4th July



So this race was something of a revelation for me, as Dale and Clive have told me not to run with my water bottle. As It added extra weight and there was no need for it for the distance that I was doing. I agreed, I think I did it for a comfort thing. 

At this point, I also like to point out that doing the summer series has been a massive learning curve for me, and a most enjoyable one. I have meet lots of new people who are all friendly and all supportive. It really has helped me improve my running over short distances. Thanks to everyone who has helped me so far.

Again I was excited about the race, as I knew Oakamoor well due to friends that I know living in Dimmingsdale and also because I go climbing there.  I was also nervous and excited as per usual.

I meet up Dale, Richard, Tyler, Matt, Clive, Andrew, Gareth and Toby at the start of the race and we were all excited about it too.  We joked about not going wrong, or making any silly errors like last week. I was told to go fast at the start in order to get a good place for first up hill climb. And that is what I did. Though I didn’t expect the climb to go one for as long as it did.  I was knackered half way up the hill but I kept pushing myself as someone breath was on my shoulder, I fought as long as I could until Tyler came running past me. 

I tried to keep up with him but couldn’t, as we started the downhill towards Dimmingsdale I lost ground on Tyler. I managed to keep up with Richard, as we bounced through the brecon and over the tractor tracks. I was pleased with my pace at this point and tried to keep it up, though I was sure of the route so it was hard to judge it.

We head past the pools in dimmingsdale and I heard a voice from Toby to tell me that we had missed the turning, so myself and Richard and a few other runners ran back as quick as possible. “O no” myself and Richard said, twice in two weeks. Nightmare I thought.  We had previously passed the marshal who was walking up to his checkpoint. I think we arrived a little early. Thanks Toby for calling us back.

We carried on with the race, even more cautious of the route. I was making sure I went the right well.  After more tractor paths and jumping of the timber and lifting our sticky muddy shoes we reached the rambles retreat and I knew we were near the last and long straight home. I put in the effort and tried to keep up with Richard, but he was too strong. Well done Richard good race.  As I headed to the home straight, Jack Ross came flying past me, which was strange as I thought we would of finished the race by now.

It turned out that he and the top 8 went the wrong way also, and made the same mistake.  This did play a part in the results.  Never the less I was pleased with my pace and happy to of finished 5th with a time of 33minutes. 

Jack Ross still managed to win the race for Staffs Moorlands with a time of 32 minutes and 41 seconds even though he went the wrong well. Impressive.



Shooting Guns
Photo Mick Hall



No comments:

Post a Comment